Address: 3325 Premier Drive, Plano, TX 75023

Can You Feel Cavities? Your Family Dentist in Plano Weighs in to Answer

Since childhood, you’ve been warned about the dangers of the notorious cavity, but there were some details about this insidious nemesis of your dental health that you may not have been informed about. As it turns out, it expands in a very stealth-like manner, which leaves you wondering whether there’s a way of knowing that one is developing. As you read on, your family dentist in Plano explains whether a growing cavity is painful or not.

Does a Cavity Hurt?

Initially, cavities don’t hurt. That’s because they begin their decay at the enamel level, the exterior of your tooth that has no nerves. Thus, you can’t feel any pain until the decay travels past that layer.

By the time you feel pain from a cavity, it has at least encroached the dentin area, the first part of the tooth where there’s nerve activity. If ignored, the decay won’t stop. It will continue to the inner area of the tooth and eventually deep into the gums, leaving a trail of damage.

The good news is that all of this can be avoided.

Why Preventive Care Visits are So Valuable

Your semi-annual trips to the dentist are vital because they leave you with a clean mouth, as the dental hygienist will thoroughly remove built-up plaque and tartar from your teeth and along the gumline. Furthermore, any tooth decay will be spotted early.

This is very beneficial considering the fact that some cavities can take years to fully mature and push to the dentin area, where the first pain sensations start. Instead of rolling the dice on how much damage your tooth can withstand, you can nip the problem in the bud early by visiting your dentist in Plano on a regular basis.

Home Care Matters Too!

Along with maintaining six-month appointments with your local professional, you should also be practicing excellent oral hygiene consistently. The primary means of cleaning your teeth and gums thoroughly are brushing and flossing. While the former addresses 60 percent of the surface of your teeth, the latter takes care of the remaining 40 percent that no other oral hygiene tool can clean as effectively.

Now that you’re better informed, you have the power to take action. By being steadfast in your efforts, you’ll be playing a major role in fortifying your oral health for years to come. To schedule a preventive care visit, reach out to your local dentist today!

About the Author

A graduate of Baylor College of Dentistry, Dr. Christopher Pollard has been providing efficient and compassionate care for nearly three decades. Through combining his vast scientific knowledge and expertise in dentistry, he’s able to deliver a brand of care the sets him apart. To stay abreast of the latest changes in the world of dentistry, Dr. Pollard is a member of several professional organizations. He practices at Dental Renaissance Family and Cosmetic Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.

You Might Also Enjoy...

How to Handle the Most Common Dental Emergencies

Some dental emergencies are more common than others. Keep reading to learn what you need to know about how to handle common dental emergencies before you can make it to the dentist. With the right response, a dental emergency won’t become a crisis.

A Smile Makeover: What You Can Expect

If your smile gives anything less than a stunning first impression, you will benefit from a smile makeover. Combine several cosmetic dentistry treatments in a smile makeover to get you a winning grin that boosts your confidence and gets you noticed.

8 Cool Facts About Invisalign® You Didn't Know

If you’re tired of crooked teeth, you don’t have to suffer through the embarrassment and discomfort of traditional braces with metal wires and brackets. There’s a reason why Invisalign® is the industry leader in clear teeth-straightening systems.

Do I Need a Night Guard?

Many people clench or grind their teeth when they sleep. If you do, you might need a night guard to prevent clenching and grinding from doing serious damage. But how do you know if you could benefit from a night guard? Keep reading to learn more!

How to Correct a Gummy Smile

When we try to connect with others, a smile can mean a great deal. A condition with excessive gums, also called a gummy smile, can impact how people see you and make you feel self-conscious about your teeth. Keep reading to learn more.