May 15, 2018
Have you been desiring to make improvements to your smile? Does the thought of having perfect teeth seem impossible? If so, your local dentist encourages you to continue reading to learn about how porcelain veneers in Plano can create your dream smile. In addition, you’ll discover how the process works to have them placed and the best practices for caring for them.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are custom-made thin, ceramic shells that fit the contour of your teeth, improving the look of your ivories located in the smile zone. Thus, if you are dealing with slight gaps, crookedness, misalignment or stains, porcelain veneers offer a way to improve your image.
How are Porcelain Veneers Applied?
The process for getting your beautiful new veneers usually takes two visits, and the following steps are taken:
- At your first visit, your dentist in Plano will consult with you about the current condition of your smile, establishing a clear understanding of what you are looking to achieve.
- After a treatment plan is developed, your dentist will begin prepping your teeth by removing a thin layer of enamel so that your permanent veneers can fit properly.
- Next, bite impressions will be taken to be sent to an in-network lab that will fabricate your permanent veneers.
- When they are ready, you’ll return to be fitted, leaving your dentist’s office feeling like a brand-new person!
How to Care for Your New Veneers
In most cases, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years, but their longevity is ultimately predicated on how you care for them. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Oral Hygiene – Be sure to practice excellent oral hygiene, which should include brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day. This protects your underlying teeth and gums from decay.
- Teeth Aren’t Tools – Avoid using your teeth like they’re tools. That means no opening bottles or packages using your ivories. This could lead to your veneers getting chipped or completely falling out.
- Visit Your Dentist – Maintaining semi-annual visits to your dentist for cleanings and examinations are essential to the longevity of your veneers. The former ensures that harmful bacteria that could harm your natural teeth and compromise your veneers are removed. Then, the examinations will allow your cosmetic dentist to monitor the condition of your veneers.
- Avoid Physical Contact – Do you like to participate in sporting events that could result in any type of collision with other people? If so, then it’s best to wear a mouthguard. It will not only serve as a means of protection of your veneers but also your teeth.
- Limit Your Consumption of Hard Foods – There are some foods that are harder than others and could possibly cause your veneers to become detached from your teeth.
These are just some simple tips to keep in mind so that when you undergo the porcelain veneers procedure, you can enjoy your beautiful smile for years to come. To get the process started, reach out to your cosmetic dentist in Plano today!
About the Author
A graduate of Baylor College of Dentistry, Dr. Christopher Pollard has nearly three decades of experience enhancing his patients’ oral health. Still, he strives to be the best he can by taking continuing education courses and remaining affiliated with several professional organizations. Dr. Pollard practices at Dental Renaissance and can be reached for more information through his website.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.