June 28, 2017
It’s Summer and you know what that means – bright, sunshine-filled days, backyard barbeques, and the kids are out of school. And, did you know that Summer is the perfect time to schedule an appointment with your dentist in Plano. The team at Dental Renaissance is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30AM to 5:00PM, making a visit before work possible, and ensuring that your kids never need to miss school to take care of their smiles. Learn more about the importance of regular dental care for kids in this post.
Why Is Routine Dental Care Important For Kids?
As your premier family dentist in Plano, Dr. Christopher Pollard and Dr. Bhavita Patel educate parents on the fact that kids are at an increased risk for tooth decay, cavities, and even gum disease. This happens for a combination of reasons, including:
- Children are still developing hand-eye coordination, which makes brushing and flossing properly difficult.
- Kids are inundated with sugar – in both foods and beverages like sodas and fruit juices that essentially bathe their teeth in the sweet, cavity-causing substance with each sip.
And, even though baby teeth will eventually fall out, advanced dental problems – including serious oral infections and severe pain – can affect children. Issues like gum disease can develop in childhood and follow your child throughout the rest of their lives.
It’s particularly important to get them started on a lifetime of oral health when they’re young, so follow the American Dental Association’s (ADA) advice and make sure your son or daughter has their first dental visit no later than their first birthday. From then on, your kids should see the dentist every six months, just like adults – and Summer is the perfect time to get them caught up on the preventive dental care they need, like cleanings, fluoride treatments, and dental sealants to prevent cavities.
How Can I Make Dental Care Fun For My Kids?
Every parent knows that keeping kids engaged in any activity depends on making it fun, so use these tips to teach your children how enjoyable and important their oral healthcare is:
- Read stories, watch cartoons, and use coloring book pages and activity worksheets from the ADA.
- Brush and floss right alongside your kids – you’ll be able to monitor their technique and make a game of defeating the cavity monsters.
- Play a fun song on your phone to ensure you all brush long enough – for two minutes, twice a day.
- Limit sugar – instead of sweets, load up on tap water, veggies, and say cheese – this dairy product can help strengthen enamel.
Now that you have some tips to make dental care fun for your kids, schedule an appointment with Dental Renaissance today to take advantage of the extra time Summer break provides!
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.